Thursday, January 20, 2011

And Now I'm A Robot

So, in light of another impending snow day and Noah's already boredom.....Mommy decided to make Noah an optimus mask. For whatever reason he has talked a lot about Optimus Prime lately and since he does enjoy playing pretend I thought it would be fun to see if I could make a respectable mask for him.

I started with some felt that I had from AGES ago. I bought it to make embellishments out of. Its made from recycled coke bottles and such and is a lot stronger than your run-of-the-mill felt. Perfect for a little boy project, right??

I knew that since supplies were limited I would need a pattern to be sure I had everything right before I started snipping. I wanted something simple, but something that you could mostly tell who or what it was supposed to be.
So, once everything was sketched out I cut the pattern apart and cut the felt with my patterns.
Now, some of you may be noticing that I have brown felt in the places that should be gray (trust me, the kid noticed, LOL!) I didn't have the right color, so I decided to paint the brown gray. It worked like a dream. Unreal! It was a real risk since I was almost out of felt! I used my heat gun to dry the paint so that I could finish everything up and so Noah didn't have to wait. (because we all know how hard it is to wait for 3 mintues, right?) *note* be careful if you do use a heat gun on felt. It is made from plastic, and WILL MELT! (I got lucky, lol)
I used my hot glue gun to attach everything to the mask. I did have some technical difficulties with the pattern once everything was assembled. The eyes were too wide-set, so Noah couldn't see out. He also said it was squishing his nose, so we snipped a little more there too. I may go back with my bic markers later and add some detailing, but for now, here is the result and my very happy little boy. 

*note...he still claims to be BORED and have nothing to do....ummm...okay....cause I didn't just make you a mask and print pictures for you to paint and find your transformer toys in that black hole you call a toy box....

Hope you enjoyed another non paper post. I DO plan to do some paper-y things later, but with the way Noah is acting, that remains to be seen. Stay crafty!

2 comments:

Trina said...

What a good mommy you are!

Carisa said...

cool mask - and you totally get mommy of the year award - even if noah didn't know it. *giggle*